Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tamandua!

This morning I woke early to go for a walk and do some birding towards Pipeline Road.  There was a flurry of bird activity around the entrance to Pipeline Road, including Golden-collared Manakins in full display, Black-bellied Wren, Black-tailed Flycatcher, Plain Xenops, Dusky Antbird, Rufous Motmot, Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, Ruddy-tailed Flycatcher and so much more.  I met with a tour group staying at the Canopy Tower and they offered to show me where the Mottled Owls have been seen along the road.  On our way, we spotted a Northern Tamandua!  

The Northern Tamandua, Tamandua mexicana (and its closely related cousin to the south, the Southern Tamandua of the Amazon) is an arboreal rainforest mammal, spending much of its time in the trees.  They are highly specialized to feed on ants and termites, with a long snout and tongue to reach into ant and termite nests, very powerful front claws to break into nests and a long, prehensile tail.  It is mainly nocturnal but can be occasionally seen active during the day.  This is my second sighting of a Tamandua since I've been here, last week I found one waddling across Pipeline Road!  Anteaters are one of my most favourite mammals, so this little guy made my day! 
Northern Tamandua
Northern Tamandua (Tamandua mexicana), Pipeline Road
~ Jenn

1 comment: